Outdoor Burning

Outdoor Burning

Can I burn yard waste in my backyard?
No. Burning any type of waste is prohibited in the City.

Can I have a fire on the beach?
No. Beach fires, including propane fires are prohibited below the high tide mark by provincial legislation in the Parksville Qualicum Wildlife Management Area.

Can I have a fire for a backyard cookout?
Yes, with some requirements:

  • Fuel must be charcoal, wood, propane or natural gas.
  • Fire must be contained in a BBQ, hibachi, fire pit or outdoor fireplace covered with a grate.
  • Fireplace must be less than 0.5 metres in size (diameter, width and depth) and less than 1.8 metres in height (including chimney)
  • A person 18 years or older must be present at all times.
  • Fire must be completely extinguished and residue disposed of to eliminate any fire hazard.

To report an open fire in the Parksville Fire Protection Area call 250 248-3242; to report a fire emergency call 911. The fire protection area encompasses the City of Parksville, French Creek areas bordering the City of Parksville to the edge of the fire protection area at Johnston and Drew Roads, San Pareil, Fourneau Road, Wildgreen Road and Martindale Road areas.

If you believe a bylaw is being broken, please file a complaint using the form below. City of Parksville bylaws are enforced on a complaint-driven basis. Anonymous complaints are not accepted.

Bylaw Complaint Form - download here

You can submit the completed form:

  • By email at bylaw@parksville.ca
  • In person at the Parksville Civic and Technology Centre (100 Jensen Avenue East)
  • By mail at PO Box 1390, Parksville, BC V9P 2H3

City of Parksville
Outdoor Burning Bylaw
Parksville Fire Protection Service Area

Burning in the Regional District of Nanaimo
RDN Outdoor Burning Regulations

BC Wildfire – Fire Bans and Restrictions
Fire Bans and Restrictions